Rodenticides and Wildlife
Rodenticides is a general term for any rat or rodent poison. They come in many forms- pellets, granules, blocks and others. Sometimes it is housed in bait boxes and sometimes it is scattered. Different kinds of rodent poisons are harmful in different ways but ALL rodenticides are harmful to pets and wildlife. Rodents that are poisoned do not die instantly in bait boxes that house the poison, they usually die days to weeks after the first ingestion. They become lethargic and are easy prey items for predators. Raptors and other wildlife provide free, natural and abundant rodent control! If you use any type of rodenticide- you will cause secondary poisoning (often lethal) to wildlife and/or domestic animals and pets...
By helping raptors thrive you will help to keep the predator-prey balance in our ecosystems in check. *A Barn Owl will eat 4-6 voles or vole sized rodents a night. A pair of nesting Barn Owls feeding a family of 6 will consume almost 40 rodents per night...one poisoned rodent can kill an entire family of owls.
The best rodent control in encouraging natural predation and using exclusion methods to secure your home or business.
If you would like to distribute ORC's rodenticide information flyer for your friends, HOA or a local business you can see and download it here. Download flyer in Spanish here. Thank you to Jimmy Ayala for the translation.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW-
Do you need help with natural control at your home? Read on and check out the links below.
We are constantly building both Barn Owl and American Kestrel/Screech Owl Boxes and they can be purchased in our store. You'll also find a link on how to build your own Barn Owl box. By putting up nesting boxes, creating natural perching and supporting habitat conservation you will help in creating rodent control.
Raptors on the job...
A breakdown of rodenticides...
1st and 2nd generation rodenticides are anticoagulants. 2nd generation rodenticides are stronger and work faster than 1st generation rodenticides which can take 1-2 weeks to kill an animal, once ingested.
Toxicant rodenticides like bromethalin have no antidote. wildlife and pets poisoned by toxicant rodenticides have extremely high mortality rates.
Poisoned Fledgling Great Horned Owl
This young Great Horned Owl died in care at ORC from uncontrolled bleeding from anticoagulant rodenticide intoxication. A lethargic and dying rodent was easy prey for its parent who brought back a poisoned meal...
An orphaned Coyote pup with Mange
Demodex is commonly seen in Coyotes, Bobcats and Mountain Lions that have suppressed immune systems from ingesting poisoned prey.
Thank you for reading, please help us spread the word about rodenticide use and its very harmful effects on our wildlife and pets.
Rodenticide Chart courtesy of cdpr.ca.gov